It’s always tough to find the best Australian mobile network. Depending on your requirement, your best network can vary. In this article, we are looking at 2 mobile networks – Optus versus Amaysim.
Both Optus and Amaysim offers prepaid and postpaid plans. We will be comparing both the plans offered by both networks. Apart from that, we will also look at the international calling offered by Optus and Amaysim.
Amaysim is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MNVO) which runs on Optus 4G network services. It offers numerous types of phone plans. Being one of the most famous and biggest phone carriers in Australia, Amaysim is often termed as the “piggybacking” service provider. This article is a review of phone plans of Optus and Amaysim.
Offers by Amaysim
Amaysim uses the 4G network services of Optus. It is also recognized as one of the leading mobile virtual network operators in the country. Amaysim has been on top of the list on many prepaid and postpaid mobile review throughout the years. Some of the reasons why many customers like Amaysim are as follows:
- Your choice of billing: It is entirely up to you whether you want a prepaid phone plan or a postpaid phone plan. Amaysim app allows you to recharge from your mobile any time of the day.
- Flexibility: All the Amaysim mobile plans have a validity of 28 days. The 28-day billing period means that you’re effectively getting a 13th billing period each year. So, there are no plans which are contract based.
- Your choice of the phone number: You can select your own mobile number. In some cases, it costs you just $0.
Offers by Optus
Optus is one of the major network service providers in Australia. Optus offers prepaid phone plans, postpaid phone plans, and contract plans. Some of its benefits are as follows:
- Numerous phone plans: You can choose from a large selection of phone plans. There are prepaid plans, postpaid, pay as you go plans and some plans with bundled handsets. If you need a handy app to check your Optus account, then download and install MyOptus app on your Android or iOS or BlackBerry phone.
- Flexibility: Various validity periods of Optus phone plans are available. They are 7 days, 28 days, 30 days, 45 days, 186 days, and 365 days.
- Data-free music streaming: My Prepaid Ultimate Plans include free data streaming for popular music streaming services Google Play Music, iHeartRadio, Pandora, and Spotify.
- Optus Sports channel: Many Optus phone plans give you the free access to Optus Sports channel. So, you can watch English Premier League soccer on it.
- Rollover Feature: You can roll over your unused data quota up to 15 GB on My Prepaid Ultimate Plans if you recharge it within the expiry time period. You can roll over your unused credit up to $500 on My Prepaid Long Expiry Plans if you recharge it within the expiry time period.
Amaysim vs Optus Prepaid Plans Compared
Plans $30 and Under Compared
$10, and $20 Optus plans have limited national calling minutes and text messaging. They are available for both 7 days and 30 days validity. $30 plan is 30 days validity with unlimited Australian calls and text messages. Extra data is charged at $10 per 1.5 additional GB. $10, $20, and $30 prepaid plans of Amaysim gives you 1 GB, 2.5 GB, and 5 GB of 4G data respectively. They have the unlimited national calling and unlimited text messaging facility.
$40 Plans Compared
Double data bonus is guaranteed on the first recharge of Optus $40 My Prepaid Ultimate Plus plan. 7 GB high-speed data with a validity of 28 days is offered. You also get unlimited national calls and unlimited text messages. Rollover up to 10 GB unused data if you recharge before expiry. Optus also have a pay as you go plan of $40 with 186 days expiry term. Amaysim also has the unlimited national calling and unlimited text messaging facility. $40 plan gives you 10 GB of high-speed data over a period of 28 days.
$50 Plans Compared
10 GB high-speed data with a validity of 28 days is offered. You also get unlimited national calls and unlimited text messages. Double data bonus is guaranteed on the first recharge of Optus $50 My Prepaid Ultimate Plus plan. Optus also have a pay as you go plan of $50 with 186 days expiry term using which you get a call credit of $50. Amaysim also has the unlimited national calling and unlimited text messaging facility. $50 plan gives you 14 GB of high-speed data over a period of 28 days.
Optus vs Amaysim Postpaid Plans Compared
Optus offers postpaid plans and gives you the option of buying a new handset along with it. However, Amaysim is a SIM-only telecommunications company. It does not offer any bundled handset.
Plans $30 and Under Compared
Amaysim phone plans have a validity of 28 days while Optus have 12 months expiry term. But it is billed on a month to month basis. Optus gives 2 GB data for $30. It also gives 1 GB bonus data with data free music streaming. Amaysim offers 5 GB high-speed data for $25. But it does not give you any benefits.
$40 Plans Compared
Optus offers 10 GB standard data for $40 including some bonus data from time to time. It is a 12-month contract plan. You get data free music streaming and Optus Sports channel for $15 per month.
$50 Plans Compared
Contract plans are not available over $40. Only postpaid plans are available for $50 and above. You only get 6 GB of data by Optus whereas Amaysim offers you 14 GB which is a lump sum amount of data.
Plans over $50 Compared
Only Optus offers postpaid plans over $50. They are $50 plan and $70 plan. You get 25 GB data for $70 per month. However, you must sign up online for it for 12 months. You also get hefty extra data additions.
Optus vs Amaysim International Calls Compared
If you have friends and family in other countries then you’re probably aware of how much it can cost to call them. The price of international calls has reduced over the years, but you still have to be careful about where you call and for how long.
All Amaysim unlimited prepaid or postpaid plans offer you unlimited standard national calling and texts plus unlimited calling to 10 countries. These 10 countries are China, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, UK, and the USA.
The top two plans of unlimited tier also give you 300 minutes of calling time and unlimited texts to Austria, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, Taiwan, Turkey or Vietnam.
Optus mobile plans include a very small amount of credit to use for calls overseas. You can recharge between $5 and $20 for international calling. Call rates depend upon which recharge value you choose and the country to which you are making the call.