Whenever you are looking for a new mobile phone plan, the thought of having your own customized Australian mobile number always crosses your mind. Generally, when you get a new mobile plan, you get a random new mobile number. Then you have to memorize it. However, some of the mobile network service providers give you the option of choosing your own mobile number.
You can either select a random new number or put up with porting your current number or simply choose your own mobile number. Picking a new mobile number comes with varying degrees of customization. In this article, you will be enlightened on how to choose your own Australian mobile number.
Which Providers Allow You to Choose?
The three major network service providers in Australia which allow you to choose your own mobile number are Vodafone, Optus, and Telstra. The only Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) which offers this service is Amaysim. Amaysim uses the 4G network services of Optus. You always have to keep the ‘04’ and in some cases the next two digits as well, as this help designate the mobile carrier.
What is a Golden Phone Number?
A Golden Phone Number is a rare mobile number which you can customize as per your wish. Up to six digits of the mobile number can be customized. These six digits may be random or six of the same digit in a row. Service to make a Golden Phone Number is offered by three major telecommunication companies of Australia. They are as follows:
- Vodafone: Vodafone allows you to customize the golden phone number up to five digits in a row. You can also make pair or triplet configuration. Vodafone charges up to $275 for this service.
- Optus: Optus allows you to customize the golden phone number up to six digits in a row. You can also make six of the same digit in a row. Optus charges start from $130 for this service.
- Telstra: Telstra allows you to customize the golden phone number up to six digits in a row. It usually consists of six repeated digits or six digits in a sequence. For example, 0409 999 999, 234 567, etc. Telstra charges up to $400 for this service. Ongoing monthly charges may apply.
How to Choose your Mobile Number with Vodafone?
- If you have a Vodafone phone plan, then simply dial 1555 from your mobile.
- Follow the prompts.
- Generating a new mobile number attracts a $19.95 one-off charge.
- Now, you will be given two options to choose from: “Silver phone number” or “Gold phone number”.
- If you select the Silver phone number, then it will cost you $55.
- If you select the Gold phone number, then it will cost you $275.
Silver phone numbers are rare mobile numbers which allow less customization. You can choose either a double number sequence or a triple number sequence. Gold phone numbers are rare phone numbers which allow more customization. You can choose either five repeated digits or six repeated digits. It also includes certain limitations while configuring.
Find out more about Vodafone mobile plans
How to Choose your Mobile Number with Telstra?
To all the Australians out there, it is important for you to know that Telstra is the most expensive option when choosing your own number. Go to a Telstra shop and ask to peruse its database for a list of obtainable numbers. While you can’t exactly customize the number yourself, you can ask Telstra to try out different combinations to see what’s available.
- Generating a new mobile number attracts $30 charge on the first attempt.
- Now, you will be offered three tiers out of which you have to choose one. They are Bronze, Silver, and Gold.
- Any custom number request will charge you $5 monthly premium apart from your phone plan.
- The bronze phone number has $100 as the upfront fee. It allows you to set four numbers in a sequence (example 34 2345).
- The silver phone number has $200 as the upfront fee. It allows you to set five numbers in a sequence (example 23456) or five of the same digit in the total sequence (example 04XX 999 992).
- The gold phone number has $400 as the upfront fee. It allows you to set six numbers in a sequence (example 234 567) or six of the same digit in the total sequence (example 04XX 999 999).
Check out Telstra Mobile Plans
How to Choose your Mobile Number with Optus?
To choose your own mobile number with Optus, you have to either walk into an Optus shop and speak to a technician or seek support on the Optus official website.
- Selecting a particular number available will charge you $77.
- Getting a new mobile number will charge you $55. This is the charge of a simple change of number. You will not have any choice in the phone number selection.
- Optus allows you to customize the golden phone number up to six digits in a row. You can also make six of the same digit in a row. Optus charges start from $130 for this service.
Check out Optus mobile plans
How to Choose your Mobile Number with Amaysim?
Amaysim is the only Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) which offers this service. Amaysim uses the 4G network services of Optus. In order to choose your mobile number, first, open the Amaysim official website. Now you will get three options:
- Keep your current mobile number
- Generate a new phone number
- Choose and customize your own mobile number
Select any one of them. If you select to choose your own mobile number, then you can select 1-5 digits of your choosing. “Premium numbers” are available. They are easy to remember and cost $30. The more numbers you choose, the more likely you are to pay the $30 premium number charge. There is no need to enter any personal information. So, you can easily check what numbers are available.
Check out Amaysim mobile plans
What if my provider doesn’t let me choose my number?
If your network service provider does not allow you to choose your own number, then at least some custom number services are still available. You can get all the details about these custom number services either online or in-person support.
Before seeking out this facility, make sure you fulfill the following conditions:
- You must have a current SIM-only phone plan. It should not be on a contract.
- Cancel your monthly plan after the month is complete.
- Get a new no-contract, SIM-only plan. Choose your number and pay the fees.
- Or you can also port your current mobile number to a different network service provider.
Should I pay for a custom number?
- Choose a memorable number
- Many different combinations are available
- The service can be free in some cases
- You can choose up to six of the same digit e.g. 04XX 777 777
Why shouldn’t you get a custom number?
- Customizing a phone number can cost over $400
- Only a selected few service providers allow it
- Porting out custom number can be a very lengthy process
- Some providers only allow a selection rather than customization